Oasis Camp Activities
The Oasis Dance Camps is proud to offer, annually since 1985, the most unique and exciting Middle Eastern Dance training experience for dancers the world over. Oasis is seriously about dance. It's about demanding classes, working hard, sweating, getting up early and going to bed late. It's about opening your mind and challenging your body. Oasis is also about maximum enjoyment and inspiration, meeting old friends and making new friends and having fun. Leave your stress behind for an exhilarating four days of dance and discovery. You will return inspired, renewed and a better dancer! Classes are arranged to provide the best instruction for dancers at all skill levels from novice to advanced. Our beginner level classes offer dancers with little or no experience a great place to start their dance education.
- Pre-Camp Master Class – To get the most from our
time with Cassandra, a pre-camp Master Level Class is offered at
Camp North and Camp South. The class meets on the Wednesday camp begins at 2:00 pm. This session
is offered to campers first but available to non-campers as space permits.
- Morning Classes -Emphasis on dance technique with layering
of advanced elements. Classes are designed to work and challenge you at
your individual level. Technique classes with Cassandra, beginner/novice Level Technique classes with Zulaika.
- Afternoon Classes - Putting the tools we've learned in technique class to work for us through choreography, dance combinations and styling.
- Percussion Classes - Three one hour classes over the duration of camp to introduce you to drumming or improve you technique and understanding of Arabic Rythymns.
- Specialty Classes - “Sit down” discussion sessions on topics relevant to our classes or area of study, Percussion Classes and sometimes something ‘crafty’.
- Hafla Performance Party -A private performance for the best audience in the world - the Oasis Dance Campers! Everyone is encouraged to dance and asked to respect the 5 minute time limit so everyone has a the opportunity to perform.
- Dance Library - A browse library of books, DVD's, magazines, and a wall of pictures of dancing, etc, will be available for use in your free time. Bring your photo album to share and a photo of yourself to hang in the “Star Gallery”. If you have books or DVD's to share, please bring them (and don't forget to retrieve them at the end of camp).
- Costume Fashion Show - an Oasis tradition, the fashion show features costumes that are 'home' made and is a chance to share ideas and show off other creative talents.
- Oasis Boutique & Dance Bazaar -Exciting merchandise from our own very special vendors along with camp souvenirs & T-shirts.
- Camper Flea Market - Time is set aside for bartering and exchanging your own used and useful treasures. Bring items to sell or trade.
- Henna and Dance Party - Featuring the world famous Oasis Dance Camp Band (bring your drums, zils, tambourines or other musical instrument). We'll play, dance, and maybe have a zar to relieve stress. Become henna artists and decorate ourselves in this ancient way. Wear a caftan or other comfortable party clothes and bring a Thobe for dancing.
- Video Critique sessions with Cassandra - Typically thought of as something for the more veteran dancer the intermediate dancer will also find Cassandra’s gentle one-on-one advice a powerful tool to improve their skills and help them on the road to becoming a more poised and polished dancer. For the critique you will bring a DVD recording of yourself dancing from a show or a home video of a dance you are working on. Cassandra will review your dvd and then meet with you privately for your critique session.